Have you ever picked up a cookbook, flicked through it and found a section called “Can’t Be Arsed To Cook”? Well we have – in a recipe book by Connie Simmonds, whose weight loss story caught the imagination of many last year. After being diagnosed with a fatty liver and told by her doctor to lose weight, Simmonds embarked on a 12-week programme with her PT brother Bradley (who you may recognise from various interviews, workouts and recipes on Coach).
Now she’s down to a healthy weight and promoting healthy living via her Instagram and Healthy Forever, subtitled “the happiest weight loss book ever”, the basic principles of which make us exceptionally happy. That includes things like not losing weight as fast as you can or depriving yourself of certain foods, and cooking simple meals from scratch and being aware of what you eat and how much of it you’re eating.
It’s all very straightforward – just like the recipes in the book, which make it a solid introduction to cooking for people who up till now may have relied on takeaways and ready meals, especially as it includes that section. The “Can’t Be Arsed” section is ideal for when, in Simmonds’ words “you forgot your packed lunch, or you’ve had a series of late nights, or you just haven’t got the energy to cook.”
We took a look through the section and this easy-to-whip-up salad jumped out at us, and Simmonds kindly agreed to share it exclusively with Coach readers.
King Prawn Quinoa And Edamame With A Ginger Vinaigrette
Ingredients (Serves Two)
- 250g pouch ready-cooked quinoa
- 200g ready-cooked prawns (look for marinated ones)
- 175g tub ready-cooked edamame beans (look in the salad section)
- 4tbsp sesame oil
- ½tsp ground ginger
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat up the quinoa pouch in the microwave, following the instructions on the packet.
- Put the prawns, edamame and quinoa in a bowl and mix together.
- Combine the sesame oil, ground ginger and balsamic vinegar in a cup or jug, stir well and pour over the salad. That’s it!